Friday, July 19, 2013

Raised Planter Bed from Pallets

IMG_0229.JPGI recently saw a picture of a raised planter bed and though it was a really neat idea. I though this would be the solution for keeping rabbits out of my garden, only problem was they wanted $250 for it.

After looking at the picture for a few minutes I was able to construct it in my head, only problem was getting the wood for it would be costly. I was thinking about it while I was at work and saw a co-worker toss a pallet into a dumpster, it occurred to me that I had just found a source of free wood for this project.

It took me about 6 hours in total to build the raised planter bed and I was able to make it for about 10% of what it retailed for.

IMG_0199.JPGYou will need the following for this project:
3 to 4 Pallets - depends on the size of the pallets, you'll also want them similar in size. Hammer Vice Grips Pry bar/Crowbar Drill Staple Gun - 3/8 inch staples Skill saw, jig saw, or preferably a miter saw (something that will make 90º cuts and 45º cuts) Screws; I used 3 different lengths of wood screws: 1 inch, 1 1/4 inch, and 1 3/4 inch Landscaping Fabric Additional treated wood from a lumber store, unless you have planks that are the total length of the bed.  Additional note:
The Pallet wood you will need to use will need to be heat treated.  All pallets will have some marking or stamp on them indicating how they have been treated.  You will need to get some that have a HT (Heat Treated) stamped on them to make this safe for uses with a garden. Steer clear of pallets with MB stamped on them, they have been treated with Methyl Bromide and can be dangerous if used for this project, since plants will be in contact with the wood and any chemicals in it.

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment