Thursday, August 29, 2013

DIY Prescription Safety Goggles! (plus a few extras)

0605132136.jpgAs Someone with awful vision, I always have the problem of needing to have my glasses on to see what I'm working on, but then I either have to fuss with wearing safety goggles over my glasses or the lying to myself that my glasses work as safety goggles, which isn't true and even if they protect my eyes then my glasses end up scratched. I've worn safety glasses over them but I still always end up with dust and shavings getting through the open sides and defeating the purpose anyways. So I decided to make a pair of goggles that allowed me to still see what I'm working on while protecting my eyes much better, than other options I'd tried.

Last time I broke a pair of glasses, I finally bought some online and was amazed at how much cheaper it was.So logically I link jumped to prescription goggles thinking they would also be cheaper--no luck. Then I thought to myself, "Self- Don't you already have a cheap pair of goggles from the costume shop and some broken glasses?" So this is my slapped together prescription goggles, to which I added a small spotlight and a magnifying lens. This is also a great way to get some more mileage out of broken glasses you had to pay good money for.

0604131013.jpgMaterials

Goggles from a Costume Shop
Broken Glasses with Lenses Still Intact
Reflective concave cup part from broken flashlight
LED flashlight from broken cheapo multiscrewdriver that I stupidly tried to pry something open with. 
Some small electric wire scavenged from various things
Stiff Bendable Craft wire
Old AM antenna. Actually I just used the old AM antenna for the plug at the end and the small electric wire- you can use anything that has those elements, I just have several because i find them a lot dumpster diving.

Tools
Pliers
Needle and Thread
Epoxy
Drill with small bit, roughly the diameter of the bendable wire
Hot Glue Gun
Hacksaw blade
Exacto Knife


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment