Monday, August 5, 2013

Garden side table with hard stone top (all re-used materials)

SDC13828.JPGA while ago I found a disposed hard stone polished kitchensink top. I carried this treasure home, although it was HEAVY and I didn't know what to do with it yet, but a creative person doesn't have junk lying around, only new ideas.
The purpose came to me later when I changed my front door to a new one and combined these two thing with some hardwood I got from a neighbor (He had it lying behind his house for years, used to be the base of his garden shet) and the legs of our old pine dinner table: These had to be transformed to a very sturdy garden side table.
Here is how I did that (although I might have missed some steps because I didn't took pictures of every step.)IMG_3991.JPGWell, as I said. I used a very nice 180x40 cm's polished kitchen counter-top out of hard stone. I found it in the garbage. Every month or so I like to dumpster-dive in my street when my neighbors dispose there treasures. Usually it's quite a goldmine (I even found some original screen-prints of some famous artists. Being an artist and art teacher myself I knew what they were. I've sold them for a few hundred euro's!).
Another day I got these big and heavy hardwood beams from a neighbor. They had a routed notch/angle (?) in them, in which the stone plate perfectly fitted.
My old merbau wood front door provided me the rest of the frame and last I used metal angles and the legs of our old diner table made out of pine. This table has been used in the garden for a few years on the place where this new table is standing now but it was to big for this small roofed space. The table top itself I used for another interesting project about which I will make another Ible later.

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment