Friday, August 30, 2013

How to Sew a Coverstitch with a Twin Needle & Sewing Machine

coverstitch.jpgIf you're an avid sewer and want your creations to have a more professional seam - then learning how to sew with a twin needle is very helpful. Until recently, I had no idea my sewing machine was capable of sewing beautiful coverstitches with a twin needle. If you plan on sewing knits, swimwear or other stretchy material, this technique will provide you with a seam that has elasticity and looks professional!

Materials: A sewing machine capable of twin-needle stitches (refer to your manual - as many sewing machines have this feature) Thread, scissors and material Extra Spool Pin Twin Needle - A stretch twin needle is recommended *wooly nylon thread - optional
P1012663.JPGThe first thing you should do is change out your standard needle and replace it with your twin needle. I loosened the standard needle with a small flat-head screwdriver. Once removed, I replaced it with the twin needle.

Next, remove your presser foot. You'll need to replace it with a zigzag foot. My zigzag foot came with my machine when I purchased it. If you aren't sure if you have one, please check your manual. To change a presser foot, my machine has a little button to push to remove/replace it.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment