Sunday, August 25, 2013

Re-new a vintage radio and restore its gleam.

017.JPGThis is a 1950ish Firestone radio alarm clock. I found this at a flea market and got an excellent deal. I did not know if it worked or not and I didn't care, I saw potential in it right away. When I got it home, I plugged it in to see if it worked or not. It made a humming noise right away. Not a "radio" noise, but a mechanical noise. I found that that was the clock running.
After about 1 or 2 minutes all the sudden I heard radio noise, a quick tune got many different talk radio station. It sounded awful, but, none the less, it still worked. So for now, I decided to simply clean and polish the entire thing to bring it back to its original (as original as possible) glory...firestone_radio 013.jpgLook the unit over carefully. Check the knobs as well, those are the first to come off. Some knobs have set screws. Most pull off with a little force...
Find the screws that putt the radio guts out. Mine has three located on the bottom. after I remover those I pulled the entire radio out and had to unplug the clock cable from the main radio tray. After that I removed 2 nuts holding the clock in place via a bracket. Whenever possible I find it a good habit to place the screws nuts and bolts back in the holes after you remove the parts you are removing.
I also removed the metal face plate and glass dome from the clock face by bending the small tabs out, on the back of the clock face.

After I removed all the inside parts its time to move on...


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment