Friday, September 6, 2013

Silver, gold and saphire ring

I am not a goldsmith, nor an educated craftsman. This means I do not have all the awesome tools and equipment that I probably should have had to make this, but I made it work with what I had.

Tools:
• Pliers
• Blowtorch
• Vise
• Hacksaw/Dremel with cutting disc
• Some metal pipe or similar the same diameter as the inside of the ring (ring size)
• Either silver soldering equipment or heavy duty glue
• Drillpress

Materials:
• I used a 2.5x2.5x100mm square silver rod, but have also made one with a 3x3mm square for my mom. The dimensions are up to you, but for this to work it has to be a square cross section. The length of is has to be as least a few centimeters longer than the perimeter of the finger it's meant for.
• Gold rod with same cross sectional dimensions as the silver, 2cm long.
• Since gold and silver is so expensive, I recommend a square rod in a less expensive material, like brass, about 1 meter long, to practice with.
• 2 mm white sapphire (Optional, and really expensive) (man, I had some money back when I made this.. That’s a looong time ago ;) )

Others:
• Sandpaper of different grits, 600-1200-2000 would be recommendable
• Buffering wheel and polishing compound

With that sorted out, let's get started.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment