Sunday, October 6, 2013

Khandvi, a snack from Gujarat

DSCN5384.JPGFor the Indian Cuisine Contest, I googled "what are some of Indian food". It came up a list of Indian food with pictures. Being not able to taste them over internet, color and shape of khandvi caught my eyes. After a brief study and research, I decided to make this Indian food and document the process and result.

Ingredients:
¦1/3 cup Gram Flour
¦1/3 Yogurt (sour would be better)
¦1 cup water
¦1” (approx.. when chopped aprrox. ½ tsp – ¾ tsp) Ginger peeled
¦2-3 Green Chilies (adjust to taste or omit if you don’t want it spicy. I didn't use it since my child can't stand the heat)
¦1 tsp lime Juice (opt. if yogurt not sour)
¦¾ tsp – 1 tsp Salt (adjust to taste)
¦½ tsp Turmeric

Tempering:
¦¾ – 1 tsp Oil
¦¼ tsp Mustard Seeds
¦¼ tsp Sesame Seeds
¦1 tsp cilantro, chopped 
¦2 Curry Leaves (I didn't use it)
¦2 Green Chilies chopped (I didn't use it since my child can't stand the heat)

DSCN5371.JPG¦Grind ginger to paste.
¦Mix ground ginger paste, salt, turmeric and gram flour  in a bowl.
¦ In a separate bowl whisk the yogurt.   Add lime juice, water to it and continue whisking it to make buttermilk. Add this buttermilk to flour and mix it using a whisk. Make sure there are no lumps in the flour buttermilk mixture.

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment