Monday, November 4, 2013

Make a Scooter from Scratch

Before I do any real modeling, first I do rough sketches for most of my projects, this one included. I use these to figure out the basic dimensions I need. Once I had an idea of what I was actually going to be making, I went around my college campus with a notebook and tape-measure and took measurements off of all the scooter styles I liked. I ended up choosing the Razor A5-Lux to base my scooter on. I also decided early on that I wanted to make this out of aluminum, with a laser-cut acrylic deck, and possibly LEDs for night cruising. 

After 20 minutes of taking measurements off of someone's A5-Lux, I had all the dimensions I needed to do another round of sketches. Then I moved to Google SketchUp and made a full 3D model. Even though the nitty-gritty construction details were not 100% accurate in the SketchUp model, I used the model to figure out the different stock aluminum I needed, and specific cut lengths for some pieces. 

Later on in the build (about 5 months later) I learned SolidWorks in an engineering class. By this time in the build, I had most of the pieces made, so making an accurate model was much easier this time around. I used this model to figure out the exact length and placement of the "folding support bar", but I'll get into that later. However, I'll open each step from now on with a picture of the part from the Solid Works model. 

Once I had my SketchUp model, I made a materials list and ordered all of the aluminum from Online Metals. I also took time to figure out generic screw sizes, and ordered these from McMaster-Carr.com. I used mostly 8-32 socket-head and 8-32 button-head, with several 5-40 button-head screws for the little things. 

I was originally going to purchase the replacement 8 inch A5-Lux wheels from the Razor store, however, I decided against it after I found out they were back ordered and 60 dollars. After much online research, I found that large wheel-chair casters are cheap, durable, and pretty available. I got two 8 inch wheels from some guy on eBay for less then 20 dollars. 

Early on I decided I wanted the deck to be clear acrylic, so I also ordered a piece of 1/4 clear-green acrylic from E-Street Plastics. I'll use my school's laser cutter to cut out the deck. Laser cutting acrylic is great because it likes to crack and chip when you machine / cut it with regular saws, and the laser cutting also 'flame polishes' the edge when it cuts it, so it's just an all-around great way to cut acrylic!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment