Saturday, June 29, 2013

Desktop Printing Press

now_epic_picture.jpg      In my history class, I recently learned about Johannes Gutenberg and the role he played in the foundations for the Renaissance. I found myself captivated by his invention of the printing press, a revolutionary technology utilizing movable, inked type that could produce hundreds of Identical prints. I found myself asking "What would a modern re-imagining of this classic invention look like?" Before long, I had developed the idea for a desktop-based, "mini" printing press that used flash cards. Combine this with the abilities of 3D printing and laser-cutting technology, and its boundaries are expanded with the introduction of type with different fonts, sizes, and effects, as well as possible decals. Alas, I lack either a 3D-printer or a laser-cutter, forcing me to make improvisations. However, after seeing the Epilog V challenge, I decided to submit this instructible, and hopefully acquire a laser-printer to make this project what it was truly meant to be. DSC_0047.jpgFor this project, you will need:

     MATERIALS

-Masking tape
-Strips of adhesive velcro (more than is pictured)
-Ink pad (used in stamping)
-foam letters (if you have a laser cutter or 3D printer, these are not necessary)
-1/2 inch bolt (approx. 5 inches)
-1/2 inch nut 

PLYWOOD
-5/8 inch
-1/4 inch

NOT PICTURED
-12 wood screws approx. 1/2 inch long

     TOOLS

-Wood saw (unnecessary if you have a laser-cutter)
-Handheld drill
-Hot glue gun
-Scissors
-Screwdriver

DRILL BITS
-1/2 inch
-1 inch

NOT PICTURED
-Drill bit for 1/2 inch long wood screws


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment