Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Adventure Time: Animated Felted BMO

sdjfds.gifSlammacow Instructabrarians!

 Time for another Mathematical Adventure Time Project!  Ever since I built my first BMO Gameboy case mod back in 2011, it's been an absolute thrill!  My first major electronic project, it has since been featured on Kotaku and the Frederator Studios Blog and it's undoubtedly my most visited project on the site.  I always loved this boxy video game system, but I never expected it to be such beloved by fans!

So this year, as a tribute to Adventure Time's third year anniversary and their fifth season running, I decided to revisit this character.  Having just gotten into the wonders of needle felting, I created an adorable plush version, this time with interchangeable faces: Animated Felted BMO! 

Special thanks to Mikeasaurus for providing me with the gif!Beemo Bones.pngWhy Rebuild BMO?
As much as I love my GameBMO, one of the things I'll admit was how extremely complicated he was.  A lot of fans have begged me to make one for them, and while I unfortunately don't have the time to make another, I did feel somewhat responsible.  After all, what's fun about building such an awesome replica and not having it.....replicable? So this newer version I promise is much simpler. 

A Plush Design?  
Ever since I started work on my first version of a BMO system I wanted to build a plush version of the character I could take with me to conventions. As much as I love the playable version, it's not so much a demonstration piece as it is a gaming console, so I figured this time I'd want to focus more on display.  AND, having recently gotten into needle felting, I decided to make a felted version.  

Add Electronics!
I got halfway through this project before deciding to make it electronic as well.  Byobmo.com had a great little tutorial on how to use a digital picture frame as an electronic face, and I decided to incorporate a smaller version into this one.  

Pre-Requisites: this project requires some low level electronic skills and moderate level needle felting skills.  If you've never used a soldering iron before, I suggest checking out the "How To Solder" guide by Noahw.  If this is your first time felting, I suggest visiting the "Needle Felted Embroidery" by Scoochmaroo.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment