Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Goldfish Shaped Dumplings

Goldfish-Shaped-Dumplings-with-Color.jpgIf you are lucky enough to visit Xian, China, you are likely headed there for the Terracotta Warriors.  However, not to be missed is the dumpling banquet!  I was able to enjoy such a banquet, filled with 18 different dumplings of different shapes, sizes and flavors.  Each dumpling is carefully hand-crafted to represent an animal or a food.  I was inspired by this banquet to make my own shaped dumplings.

Today I'm going to show you how to make your dumplings look like a beautiful celestial goldfish.  The celestial goldfish has bubble eyes that bulge out of its head.   This dumpling is not much more difficult to make than a regular dumpling but it will have a huge impact the next time you serve dinner!

Note: I added color and some additional tips thanks to an idea from Caitlin's Dad!

_MG_0309.JPGGather your ingredients:
Won Ton Wrappers (I was pleased to find these at my local grocery store, purchase the square ones)
Filling (Today I used shrimp but you can use any ground meat)
Peas
Water

Gather your tools:
Steamer (I have an electric one, but there are tons of types, bamboo, metal, even plastic microwaveable ones)
Chopsticks
sharp knife
Optional:
Food Safe Marker in orange


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment