Thursday, August 1, 2013

vintage wooden block necklace

This is my first Instructable. I hope you all enjoy it!

I'll show you how to make an amazing vintage necklace out of old children's wooden letter blocks.
It'll accent that vintage side that you just cant hide!

What you'll need:
=====================
-Vintage wooden blocks
-necklace chain/clasp
-Miter Box with Saw
-Tiny eye bolts
-jewelry pliers
-olive oil

1.First, go hunting! Find a nice set of blocks at a thrift store, garage sale, or a swap meet. Next clean your blocks with a damp cloth to remove any excess grime or dirt. But don't be to harsh with them!

2. Use the miter box and saw to cut off the face of the block that you like to use. I made mine 1/4" thick.

3. Use olive oil to liven up the color and grain of the wood. (See the before and after) I use Olive Oil because I think its best to keep chemicals out of my items and off the skin as much as possible.

4. Use your fingers to push/screw the tiny eye bolts into the blocks. I got mine at Michael's. Don't worry about making it perfect; I just eyeballed it myself. Last, but not least, attach your chain and clasps!

I didn't even need my jewelry pliers for this one. It was all done by hand! Enjoy!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment