Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Dancing, Magnetic Robots

Make a pair of dancing robots using magnets!

While messing around with some magnets I purchased from Ebay I discovered something really cool.  If you put a small washer on a flat surface and move a magnet in a circle motion underneath the washer, it will spin one way and then another.

As soon as I saw this I just had to incorporate it into a project.  In the end I came up with robot dancers - the ideas a little left of centre but the end result looks great.  The robots really look like they are dancing and the cool thing is you can’t see any mechanisms moving them. 

I chose a book to have the robots dancing on as I wanted it to seem that the robots were casually being displayed on top of the  book.  You could use a wooden box (or cardboard box) to hide the motor etc, but a book does the job pretty well.

Here's a video of the robots in action

And here’s how you do it…


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment