Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Make a Rip Stop Nylon Hammock

IMG_0159.jpgRip stop nylon is some pretty cool stuff. It’s used in jackets, sails, kites, wing suits, and parachutes. While at the sporting goods store, I saw it’s used in hammocks as well.

I made this hammock from two sections of rip stop nylon sewed together. While a single ply would have probably done just fine, I played it safe and doubled it. Don't worry if you don't know how to sew. This is probably the 3rd time I've ever used a sewing machine.  

IMG_0110.JPGThe material is already 60” wide right off the bolt. I asked for 4 yards. That gave me a section 12’x60”. When I got it home I cut 1’ off of the end making is 11’x60”. The one foot strip will be used to make a storage bag.

This material only stretches diagonally. Since I’m using the fabric in line with the weave, I able to use a straight line stitch. Otherwise, I would have had to use a zig-zag stitch to allow for stretching. I adjusted the sewing machine so the stitches were wide enough to prevent it from being a failure point. If they are too close together it becomes a perforation rather then a strong seam.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment