Sunday, October 27, 2013

Dragon Wagon

phone 6-5-13 828.jpgWe like to go to the local reinassance fair and some of our group dress up when we go. This was going to be the first trip with our one year old son, so we wanted to make it special. I had seen several versions of wagons and carriages for kids out at the fair or on the internet, but wanted to do our own version of a dragon wagon. My mom and dad helped out with this project so I have to give them props on the final product. They also helped keep my kiddo entertained while I did a lot of the cutting, pinning and sewing of fabric. It took us a total of 3 months working off and on to make 2 of these. The first one was a lot of trial and error, but once we had a pattern and idea of what we were doing, the second one came together very quickly. I haven't seen one like what we created anywhere and hope you like it.phone 6-5-13 740.jpgWe used a radio flyer comfort wagon model that has a canopy for the base of our build. My parents got one brand new for about $160.00, but I found mine for a steal on craig's list for $45.00. I had a lot of the fabric on hand and frequent the local thrift stores and get lucky finding all kinds of sewing items. I had the paint and brushes on hand and my parents had the high density foam leftover from fixing their couch. We got out on the cheap for this project, but if I had to guess a ballpark cost it would be about $100.00 each cover.

Our prototype was the green dragon, and we had a lot of trial and error. But here are the supplies we used. I think I got them all in the pictures, but may have left off some items. You can probably find all of these supplies at your local craft store. I used upholstery and heavy canvas fabric to make sure it would be durable and survive some wear and tear. The wire and spray paint I got frome Lowes.

5 1/2 yds top color fabric
5 yds contrasting bottom color fabric
2 sheer curtains or 4 yds sheer fabric similar in color to contrasting fabric
2-3 spools matching thread for top fabric
2-3 spools matching thread for bottom fabric
3 yds 1/2 inch elastic 
3 yds 1/4 inch elastic
good pair scissors
measuring tape
yard stick or metal ruler
sewing needles
lots of pins
seam ripper, in case of mistakes
stuffing
sewing machine
4 ft X 3 ft piece of cardboard
no fray glue
2 pieces of 10x16x2 Inch high density foam
spray adheasive
Serrated knife & smaller pairing knifes
paint to match colors of body, acrylic & spray paint
various size brushes
pencil, sharpies and paint markers
Roll of butcher paper & newspaper
pallet to mix paint colors
shoestring or yarn, 4mm gage wire
masking tape
pliers


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment