Friday, September 20, 2013

HomeMade Modern DIY Screwdriver Coat Rack

This post is the first part of my tool scavenger experiment. I budgeted $150 and bought a bunch of different tools – mostly from Craigslist and eBay. I then sorted through and separated my newly purchased collection into two neat sets of hand tools. After I was done, I sold the remaining, miscellaneous tools and was able to recoup $142 of my original investment.

Many people these days are using cordless drills and drivers, or hand screwdrivers that have replaceable heads. While these are great in their own respect, sometimes a traditional driver is all you need.

Let’s say you're in the middle of a project and are in need of a screwdriver. Sure, you could stop what you're doing, go pull out your toolbox and scrounge around until you find one; but wouldn’t it be more convenient to always have one right where you can see it?

This made me think,"Why can’t tools be displayed out in the open around the apartment?"

This project encapsulates a few of my favorite concepts. First off, it includes screwdrivers that are reclaimed and refurbished – so there's no waste involved. It also incorporates a disparate assortment of orphaned objects into a single, unified design. All of the pieces are useful and they are arranged in a design that prevents them from being hidden. That ultimately saves you a ton of frustration. Not to mention, this set can also do double duty and serve as a coat rack, which makes it incredibly versatile.

This project acts as the first part of my exploration into what an urban toolbox should look like. Tools can improve your life but are often designed and marketed to suburbanites who have extra storage space in large garages and spare rooms. It’s time to figure out what the most essential and compact tools are so that urban DIY projects are feasible in even the most cramped of spaces.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment